Why is a multicultural classroom important?
A multicultural classroom will include culturally responsive teaching. The primary goal of culturally responsive teaching is to help all students become respectful of a variety of cultures and people that they’ll interact with in our ever-growing world. We will be reading a variety of multicultural high-quality texts. We will be teaching students about multicultural role models. This serves as an effective method for demonstrating that people of all genders, ethnicities, and appearances can have a positive influence on the world and deserve to be respected and emulated.
The goals of multicultural education include:
• Creating a safe, accepting and successful learning environment for all
• Increasing awareness of global issues
• Strengthening cultural consciousness
• Strengthening intercultural awareness
• Teaching students that there are multiple historical perspectives
• Encouraging critical thinking
• Preventing prejudice and discrimination
All students are welcome to join our multicultural classroom. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Barnsdale Road School at (708) 482-3003.
This video shows what your child will experience in the multicultural classroom at Barnsdale Road School.